Learning Styles

This book isn’t about helping you come up with a great label for your child’s learning style.

“He’s a global-spatial-social-reflective-kinesthetic-sanguine-abstract-melancholoy-left-brained-platypus. Problem is, I just don’t know what to do with it.”

No, this book is all about how to teach. Many of the books on learning styles devote 98% of their text to identifying learning style, then spend the remaining 2% telling you how to apply this knowledge. They are long on diagnosis and short on prescription. Carol Barnier knows from her own experience and from interactions with educators all across the country that while people are certainly interested in the “why”, they are in urgent need of the “how”, or the big “what now?” They need perfectly clear and practical information that can be applied tomorrow. This book will load you up with just that—ideas you can try tomorrow.

In The Big What Now Book of Learning Styles, parents and teachers will find an emphasis on “what to do about it”. This book supplies hundreds of activities for each subject coming from a variety of learning style approaches covers practical strategies for success in spelling, writing, math, history, geography, science, and more takes you inside the mind of your child to understand what they’re not saying about how they learn



Book Comments

Finally, a learning styles book that spends more time giving you practical ways to teach than it does naming, testing for, and describing learning styles. Keeping its “understanding learning styles” section to a minimum, the majority of the book shows you how to develop the ability to take any learning activity, in any subject, and find ways to incorporate different approaches into your teaching. Calling these “keys” to unlocking understanding, it shifts the emphasis from a child that is failing to learn to a “key” that has failed to teach. It’s then up to the teacher to find a different, more effective key. The result? Lightbulb-Led Learning. You have to love the instant understanding the term brings. We want those light bulb moments for our children, and we want to be the ones to light them up. Author Carol Barnier gives you lots of power. Each subject section (spelling, writing, reading, math, history, geography, science, and reviewing) contains a plethora of suggestions, activities, and wisdom especially useful for those out-of-the-box learners who are bound to be part of your household. Enjoy! –Janice

This book is always at hand for one reason…okay two…well three! 1)It is chock full of ideas that my son loves AND they work! 2)the ideas are easy to use, it’s a very well organized book. 3)I don’t have to spend a fortune, or even dent my grocery budget to implement the ideas! It’s very user friendly, I can pick it up and put it down and NOT lose what I’ve read! It’s one of the very few books I use all the time. I highly recommend this book to anyone, whether they homeschool or not, it really opens you up to all the myriad ways you can help your child comprehend and retain information. As an aside, if you ever get the chance to hear Carol speak…GO! But just buy this book instead of trying to take notes, it’s much easier! –Nick & Nate’s Mom


Carrie Z. from Amarillo, TX wrote the following on 04/16/2010:

Carol Barnier’s books have an approach unlike any other. Instead of worrying about how to change your child to conform to the “standard” educational model (diets, Ritalin, etc.), she teaches you how to make your teaching mesh more fully with your ADHD (or otherwise wiggly and distractible) child–believing that God created your child that way for a purpose that will have a glorious end result. Not only does she have fabulous ideas that will help you be more successful–she also gives you good reason to rethink the way you view your child and his/her attention issues. I wholeheartedly recommend all of her books.